ABOUT mary

I'm a fine art film photographer living in the mountains and traveling to tell beautiful stories

wedding

portrait

engaged

personal

Browse by Category

Portfolio

contact us

order

personal

homemade bagels & soup

cornchowder

The leaves are changing, the sky is cloudy and rain pitter-patters outside on the pavement. It’s decidedly fall and perfect weather for soup. It’s a shame that Matt doesn’t like soup as much as I do, but it’s probably a good thing since I am not amazing at making it. I’m good, not amazing. I like to try different recipes + combinations when it comes to soup, but he makes the best soup in our house, and one of my absolute favorites: chicken noodle (with homemade noodles). Now that soup is the ultimate comfort food, sure to cheer me up out of any bad mood and especially delicious on a cold winter day.

I went a little crazy last year with pumpkin, carrot, and squash varieties of soup and had a few winning recipes out of the bunch but of course I didn’t write them down so I have no idea what I used and what worked. I made the first soup of the fall (I backed off a bit this year thinking of Matt) and it was a roasted red pepper and corn chowder. It was based mainly off of this recipe, and I give my version an A- in my book. What saved it was the red chili powder I threw in courtesy of my cousin Joanna (thanks Joanna) but the lower grade was due to the effect it had on me – maybe I ate too much of it at once. Of course once again I didn’t write down my exact variation so I encourage you to read the recipe and adjust as needed to make up your own. Now the homemade bagels Matt made the very same Sunday afternoon were the perfect accompaniment to my soup. We have made bagels before – but never from the highly recommended recipe on the sophisticated gourmet. They came out well, and since you already know I fall in love easily with anything made from scratch, they were a hit in my book. I don’t think ours look quite as good as tsg’s but matt shaped the bagels and no offense, but I think I can do a better job. I will have to try and find out!

We worked side by side in the kitchen and spent some time together which these days is somewhat rare. I have started to wind down from my busiest season but of course that is when Matt has the most going on. We love to enjoy good food together, and since we live in the country we have been forced cook our own since there aren’t options to go out to. In other cooking news this year we are going to host Thanksgiving so it’s time to start recipe planning! I’d love to hear your favorite Thanksgiving dishes + especially your best soups for this season. Until then have a great weekend + if you’re feeling ambitious try making some bagels, I highly recommend them.

bagel

October 14, 2011

1. Robin

October 14th, 2011 at 2:29 pm

One of my favorites that I just made this week is my version of a pasta fagioli. We are a family of five so the recipe is rather large (full crockpot!)

1lb hot italian sausage (i use pork b/c we bought part of a pig this year)
    1-2 quarts of chicken stock, I normally use homemade or Swansons Natural no MSG)
    1 quart canned tomatoes (i use our garden canned tomatoes)
    1 can tomato sauce
    4-5 sliced carrots
    4-5 stalks celery
    1 onion
    1 can pinto beans
    1 can northern beans (you can use the ones that aren’t canned but remember to soak them overnight!)
    1/2 lb of pasta, whatever you have or like! (this week i just took linguine noodles and brook them in pieces, but small pasta works the best)
    1 Tablespoon minced garlic or 2 cloves
    1 cube of pesto ( which is basically just basil + garlic)
    salt and pepper to taste

brown sausage and then add all ingredients together and cook on low in the crockpot all day! serve with crusty bread and parmesan cheese on top! Super delicious!

2. Robin

October 14th, 2011 at 2:30 pm

forgot to mention that i don’t add the noodles till about an hour before you want to eat, otherwise they get mushy in the crockpot!

3. Steph

October 14th, 2011 at 3:58 pm

Mary,
    Great post – I am going to try the bagels soon. I’ll let you know how they turn out in the high desert. They look scrumptious and easy to make.

4. Mary Dougherty

October 14th, 2011 at 4:50 pm

hey robin, thanks for sharing I had forgotten about pasta fagioli – my mom used to make. I will have to try your version sounds easy + delish. auntie steph so good to hear from you – I hope the bagels work well! have fun

5. beth tucker

October 15th, 2011 at 6:17 pm

Yuuum! Your bagels and soup look so tasty! I am not much of a soup-lover myself, so I can sympathize with Matt. We have many many butternut squash from our garden this year so I tried a Butternut Squash and Carrot Soup recipe I found in my Better Homes and Gardens cookbook. I LOVED IT! Nate wasn’t too crazy about it, so more for me :) and, bonus, Lena also really likes it.

As long as I’m rambling…

On Thanksgiving: My grandmother has a great cranberry relish recipe that she makes every year. I just love the sweet/tart crisp flavor with the savory turkey and stuffing and I can’t wait to have some this year!

Yay for comfy cozy fall food! I hope you get to enjoy lots more now that your season is slowing down. Im off to take a look at some more of your lovely posts :)

6. Megan Platt

October 15th, 2011 at 11:23 pm

ok so how do the bagels compare to jersey bagels? because i realllllly miss my jersey bagels…

7. Mary Dougherty

October 17th, 2011 at 10:30 am

beth! thanks for your comment and that soup sounds great! i know I end up eating all of the soup in the house since matt isn’t a huge fan. my mom makes a cranberry relish that sounds similar – we’ll have to compare recipes… are you guys cooking anything up for thanksgiving? megan – what did you think of the bagels? i think they are closer to jersey than what you get in the store, but I’m not proficient enough to recreate them… yet. :)