ABOUT mary

film + digital photographer, grounded by life with three littles, traveling often and on this adventure with the love of my life.

wedding

portrait

engaged

personal

Browse by Category

Portfolio

contact us

order

wedding

Andrew + Arryn’s wedding

About a year ago I met up with Andrew + Arryn in Java 101 to talk about their wedding plans. They were relaxed, creative and planning a day that was focused on their commitment to each other and the friends and family that support them. That can be a hard thing to do in the world of wedding planning; it is all to easy to let things get out of control and forget where you are in the first place. If that ever happened to Arryn and Andrew it didn’t show. I looked forward to their wedding from our first meeting until I headed up to Maryland in mid December for the big day.

Arryn was an art major and more specifically a ceramicist, but she is an all around creative person and it showed at the wedding. In the collection of details above, let me walk you through the decorations and details she incorporated. The colors were red and green with an all around wintery vibe, so the tables were decorated with evergreen and berries in vases that she made. As a favor to all of the guests, she made the mugs you see pictured – each and everyone of them, which I think totaled 125 at least. One of my favorite parts of the decorations was the dropped chandelier/ceiling you see in the dancing photo. It was lined with lanterns and draped with fabric and totally transformed the room. We’ll have to see if we can get a tutorial from Arryn on how she made it, but first on to the wedding day… (update: I’ve learned that Andrew + Nate Gerard engineered the construction of the ceiling, and it was a family project that everyone contributed to- great job everyone!).

Looking fabulous, Arryn got ready with her bridesmaids and mom nearby. The yellow room they were in was perfect to light and cast a soft warm glow – getting ready rooms are usually tricky to work with but this one was an exception.

See the ceiling that I’m talking about? Honestly it was perfect for their reception and I’m so impressed. As much as the wedding was about them (as it should be) it was also about everyone who is in their lives. As a statement of marriages that have gone before them, they hung photos of couples and the years they’ve been married around the room. There is also nothing like friends at a wedding, and so I love the two pictures below, and all the others like them.

The evening finished off with cake and giving away the bouquet to Arryn’s grandmother. Looking at the picture below makes me think of family moments that you pass down through generations. It is so fun to witness and share these events, so once again thanks to Arryn + Andrew and all of the family and friends involved in the day. To see the complete set of photos go here and enter their last name for the password (You must also create a profile first for login). I’m sure they would like a nice large print to display in their home so leave a comment to help earn one for free! (20 comments=11×14, 40 comments=16×24).

February 1, 2010

1. Elizabeth

February 1st, 2010 at 11:11 am

I too love the ceiling effect! so pretty! Nice job on the photos Mary!

2. Margaret

February 1st, 2010 at 11:49 am

I’ve been so excited for this post and, of course, it did not disappoint. My eyes are welling with tears (again!) at the photos of Andrew looking at her walking with her dad, singing to her during the ceremony, her singing to him during the first dance… also love the one of Alaina & Arryn! Haha–I can imagine the dialogue!

Beautiful, Mary! I’m sure the new couple is ecstatic. Arryn is so gorgeous and I think if they do earn the large print, they should choose the largest portrait of them in this post–where his arms are around her and she is looking at the camera–I have to say that one is my favorite.

3. elicia

February 1st, 2010 at 5:27 pm

beautiful pictures!

4. meg

February 1st, 2010 at 6:38 pm

where to begin my comment…i love this post! diving past the fact that the photos are amazing as usual and a great way to tell the story for one who was either there or not…i absolutely love the details in this wedding! way to go aaryn. first off, the ceramic ware (i saw the cups and vases and thought, someone involved must have a serious connection with a potters wheel). and the bridemaids’ dresses are unlike a style i’ve ever seen–awesome! (perhaps i’m just not stylish enough, but either way…) the ceiling, yes. totally transformed the room into a glamourous venue. and yes, i love the cake, the dress, the car, the grandmas, the everything! love it love it! beautiful photos and an inspirational and unique wedding from details to the more traditional aspects!

5. Sarbob

February 1st, 2010 at 8:37 pm

I sure hope this couple earns the large print!!! I think this is one of my favorite weddings you’ve shot, mary, but of course i say that just about every wedding. The bride and groom did a fantastic job incorporating everything into a beautiful artsy look and i love the idea of hanging pictures of couples around the room! it looks like they absolutely transformed their reception site into this elegant ballroom! you did an amazing job too with the car photos. love those tons.

6. Nita

February 2nd, 2010 at 8:49 am

Goodness, that dropped ceiling is fantastic! Also love the thoughtful idea of the personal mugs. I just need to say that the photo out by the car of the couple, where she is looking into the camera… WOW. It’s defintely my favorite of the series, though the whole day looks amazing through your lens.

7. Sarah Knight

February 2nd, 2010 at 9:50 am

These are beautiful! Arryn did an amazing job with detail and you did a wonderful job capturing it.

8. April Foster

February 2nd, 2010 at 10:15 am

Wonderful pictures. I love that you did both color and black and white!

9. Debi Radford

February 2nd, 2010 at 10:51 am

This was such a beautiful and fun wedding. The pictures definitely capture that.

10. Crystal Swanson

February 2nd, 2010 at 2:48 pm

Aw these pictures are beautiful just like this couple : ) I loved all of them. Congrats guys!

11. Arryn

February 2nd, 2010 at 3:07 pm

Mary – as I have said I could not be happier with our pictures! You are such a talented photographer. I just wanted to say I absolutely LOVE the picture of my two Grandmothers!!! I think it is so adorable and I am so glad you caught that on your camera!

12. Bob and Ruth Vogan

February 2nd, 2010 at 4:14 pm

Mary – What a wonderful documentation of Arryn and Andrew’s wedding day! You are so creative in composing photos.

13. G A Radford

February 2nd, 2010 at 8:07 pm

Beautiful pictures. I especially love the look on Arryn’s face while Andrew is singing to her during the ceremony.

14. Flo Wolfe

February 2nd, 2010 at 9:49 pm

Sharpness, clarity, color, and love make this a fantastic wedding album. Dave and I were honored to be part of your special day.

15. Analee

February 3rd, 2010 at 11:21 am

Wow– these pictures are wonderful, you captured every part of that amazing day!Everything was beautiful and I am so blessed that I got to be there. :)

16. efred

February 3rd, 2010 at 7:56 pm

so i know i’m a little late on viewing these, but these photos are amazing!! i’ve been keeping my eye out for the link to these photos because i was so excited to see how they turned out. my favorite photo is where they are in the car and andrew is hugging arryn and she’s looking at the camera. the way her flowers and everything look is just breathtaking. way to go mary!! :o)

17. Alaina

February 4th, 2010 at 8:27 pm

AMAZING!!! Arryn looks gorgeous, you really captured all the unique and special moments of the day. The one of me and Arryn is hilarious I’m pretty sure I was gushing over the wedding:)

18. Molly

February 6th, 2010 at 2:37 pm

Beautiful! it must have been a little warmer than Jan. 2nd lol I love the pictures of the details, especially the rings!

19. Michele Radzibaba

February 6th, 2010 at 6:52 pm

Every single picture is absolutely incredible. The bride is beautiful and the groom so handsome. One of my favorite pics is the bridal party, linked arm in arm outside the church. Then of course there is the touching picture of dad and daughter in the parlor before the ceremony and the picture that makes me smile and cry…mom and daughter laughing before the ceremony. And every single pic of the bride is stunning. I love you Arryn! Love, Aunt Michele

20. Sherri

February 7th, 2010 at 12:08 pm

Pictures are GORGEOUS! I love Arryn to bits and you really captured her personality. Fabulous job!

21. Michele Prince

February 9th, 2010 at 1:01 pm

Mary,thank you for the fabulous job you did on the wedding. You are a true artist. It’s too hard for me to choose a favorite. I’m so glad you were avaialable to be our photographer because after the day is over, what you have left is the memories and the PHOTOS–and they are perfect! You were also lovely to work with–very patient, kind and gracious. I wish you much success.

22. Uncle Steve Sady

February 9th, 2010 at 4:34 pm

What beautiful photo-capture of a lovely event. The pictures make me think I could have seen and enjoyed it all without being there in person …but I’m glad I was.
    S Sady

23. Maran

February 10th, 2010 at 8:41 am

Beatiful couple and a beautiful day. Fantastic photos!

24. PRISCA SADY

February 10th, 2010 at 10:11 am

So many fabulous pics! Arryn, you are incredibly creative and talented. I still can’t get over how you transformed the reception room into something so beautiful. But, you were even more beautiful! What a lovely couple in every way.
    Uncle Maran and I are looking forward to getting to know Andrew in the future.

25. U bob sady

February 10th, 2010 at 1:57 pm

congratulations to the groom – you’ve picked a peach

for the bride – a lifetime of happiness

the photographer – we wish you had shot our wedding
    – you just weren’t born yet

26. kara Mancini

February 12th, 2010 at 5:06 pm

What a wonderful day! Thank you for allowing us to share in celebrating the covenant you have both made together in God! Arryn… you are so beautiful. As were Grammy, your mom and your bridesmaids. What an all around AMAZING day! We look forward to getting to know Andrew and truely welcoming him into the extended family! Abundant blessings!!!

27. Michelle

March 14th, 2010 at 9:05 pm

BEAUTIFUL pics!!! What a great day. There are so many great ones that I just can’t decide which is my favorite!